Popular scams right now:
- Geek Squad / Amazon / Anti-virus renewal emails - Always check with your credit union if you receive unexpected emails claiming you have a large bill being charged. More often than not, it's just a trick to get you to call them and give them information.
- Fraud alert texts - Members are receiving texts from "WECU" or "WSECU" that are asking them to click a link to verify transaction activity.
Tip: We will always identify ourselves as "WestEdge Credit Union" or "WestEdge" and will never text you a link to confirm your transaction activity. If in doubt, ignore the link and call us directly to confirm.
If you've been scammed or are worried about your account security, contact us immediately.
Stay Aware of Scams
Being able to identify a potential scam before it happens is the best way to avoid falling victim. Common scams include...
Other red flags to keep an eye out for:
- They use pressure tactics to convince you to act fast instead of thinking about what they're asking you to do.
- They demand you pay in a specific way. Insisting on using gift cards or P2P payment apps like Zelle, CashApp, or Venmo is a warning sign.
- They misspell words, use incorrect grammar, and generally have poor communication skills. This type of unprofessionalism could indicate you're dealing with a fraudster and not a legitimate business.
- They're offering something that seems too good to be true. It likely seems that way because it is.
- They need your login credentials to fix something in your account.
Fraud Prevention & Account Security
Keep your information private and protected by following these tips:
- Monitor your accounts on a regular basis. Report unauthorized transactions as soon as possible.
- Create unique and strong passwords for online accounts. Use letters, numbers, and symbols and never us the same password more than once.
- Install a locking mailbox at home to protect sensitive information in the mail.
- Don't mail check payments - Mail often gets stolen or lost. If you must mail a payment, take it directly to a secure mailbox inside the post office.
- Only give personal information to people you trust and only when you initiate the phone call. Never send personal or financial information via email or text.
Remember, WestEdge will NEVER call, email, or text you asking for...
- Your full bank account numbers
- A one-time passcode
- Your Online Banking Login ID or password
- Your full Social Security number
- Your debit or credit card numbers, PINs, or CVV security codes
Report lost or stolen cards, fraud, or suspicious account activity to us as soon as possible.
During business hours (M-F, 9a-5:30p), call us directly: (360) 734-5790
Report a card lost or stolen after hours:
Debit Cards: 1-800-554-8969
Credit Cards: 1-800-325-3678
File a credit card fraud dispute - 1-800-600-5249 M-F 8a-8:45p EST